The governing board gathered in the staff room for their meeting on 22nd November. The Chair (parent governor Adam Millgate) warmly welcomed the Interim Head – Miss Sandra Miller – to her first Long Furlong board meeting.
Having covered routine administrative matters and after signing off minutes of the meeting held on 16th October, governors went through the Standing items which appear on every agenda: Safeguarding; Attendance; Health & Safety; Governor training; Governor visits; FOLF; Successes and Celebrations
Miss Miller delivered a verbal Head’s Report, highlighting the following:
- a very effective handover meeting was held with the previous Head
- Miss Miller has held 1:1 meetings with all teachers, which clearly showed how well they know the children in our school
- useful meetings have also been held with the School Improvement Partner, and with officers from Oxfordshire County Council
- methods for recording pupils’ attainment against National Curriculum have been reviewed
- areas identified for focus include: class timetables; the learning environment; pupils’ retrieval of what they have learned; staff wellbeing
Governors very much enjoyed being taken on a ‘learning walk‘ around the school, where Miss Miller highlighted the positive work being done, particularly around ‘working walls’, Phonics, Zones of Regulation, and Communication and Language in Early Years’ classes. She also mentioned factors which might limit best practice, including the unfortunate lack of breakout spaces in which staff can work with individuals or small groups of children.
School policies and procedures cover every aspect of school life. A number of policies were scrutinised and approved, including:
- Special Educational Needs and Disabilities
- Disposal of Assets
- Safe Swimming
- Teachers’ Pay
Governors were pleased to appoint an Associate Member to the board: Emma Fox, School Business Manager. Emma brings a wealth of knowledge and experience regarding the non-curriculum aspects of running a school, and is well-placed to offer advice to the board.
The Chair advised that arrangements for the appointment of a permanent Headteacher are proceeding well, and thanked all those involved in the process so far.
The next meeting is scheduled for Thursday 25th January at 6:00pm.
For more information about governance at Long Furlong, including minutes of meetings, please visit the relevant pages on the website: