What is Pupil Premium?

There is a source of Government funding for schools called “Pupil Premium”; for every child eligible at Long Furlong we receive £1345.  This funding is intended to help children from lower income families to achieve the very best they can; examples of how the money is spent by the school are:

  • Activities in school to support your child’s learning, confidence, self-esteem or social/emotional skills
  • Payment for school uniform, or other essential equipment
  • Payment for educational activities such as residential trips, class trips, after-school clubs
  • Children in Years 3, 4, 5 and 6 who are eligible for Pupil Premium also receive free school meals (children in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 all get free school meals anyway). If you register, your child does not have to have a free school meal if he/she doesn’t want one.

How to Apply

First, check if you qualify – it is not just if you are unemployed, so please look at the list overleaf. If you think you qualify, complete the form below. If you need any help, just ask at the school office. You do not need to send any evidence of your qualifying benefits with the application. The form should be returned to the school office. Please be assured that your application and all the information is private; your child will not be told about it. It will not affect any other benefits you are claiming. If you have any queries at all about claiming, please do not hesitate to contact school office staff. We appreciate it can sometimes be difficult to talk in private; please indicate if you wish to do so, or email/phone.

You can apply for Pupil Premium/Free School Meals if you receive any of these benefits:

  • Income Support
  • Income Based Job Seekers Allowance
  • Income related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • Guaranteed element State Pension Credit
  • Child Tax Credit without Working Tax Credit, and an annual household income of less than £16,190
  • Working Tax Credit ‘run-on’ – the payment someone may receive for a further four weeks after they stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
  • Universal Credit